Friday 19 September 2008

Thank you, Letitia

I would just like to say a huge 'thank you' to Letitia for making such a kind and very complimentary speech about me at the nomination night. At 17, Letitia is one of the ever-growing number of young people joining the JDA this past year. To be brave enough to offer, and then actually stand up in front of a 150 people or more at the Town Hall as Letitia did this Tuesday shows what a remarkable young woman she is. This is one young JDA member who I am quite certain is going to make a real success of herself. Amazingly it was put to me by a supporter of another candidate (no, I'm not saying who!) that I really should have used a much older person who would have spoken at much greater length about all my 'qualities'! I want to say here that this observation left me not knowing whether to laugh or cry. Having sat through what seemed like several hours of often gushing speeches about how fanastically talented some candidates were, like a number of others I spoke to, I was left wondering whether one or two ministers etc might actually be personally responsible for bringing about future world speech! For me, Letitia's speech was perfect. It was obviously from the heart and I couldn't have asked for more. Besides…perhaps I'm in the minority here, but for all the attributes I might have - and I know I am standing for the very best of reasons - I am well aware that I am nevertheless far from perfect. If a few other candidates are as their proposers appeared desperate to convince us all - good luck to them. Once again, 'thank you' Letitia - you did me proud!

NOMINATION SPEECH FOR TREVOR PITMAN
My name is Letitia Pryor – and I am proud to propose Trevor Pitman for Senator. Being 17 years old I will be voting in Jersey’s elections for the first time. Though I might be young, like a lot of young people I am very concerned about what the future holds for my generation.
I am very concerned about my prospects of ever affording a home of my own, and of being able to follow the career that I want. With GST I am concerned about even being able to afford to live – I am 17 and though a student I already work hard at a part-time job – I don’t want to just exist from hand to mouth!
Who do I blame for all of this? A government and a council of ministers that just don’t listen to the wishes of the island’s people – a government who don’t even seem to care. If we do not do something about all of this now it is young people like me who will be the ones to suffer the most.
That is why I am a member of the JDA – and why I am proposing Trevor Pitman for Senator. We need politicians who care and have the ability to do something about this mess! Trevor has the ability to make a difference in abundance.
I have known Trevor since I was eight years old. As the youth worker at the Grands Vaux Youth Centre – where I am a volunteer and on the Management Committee - over the ten years I have known him Trevor has transformed an old and run-down centre into the best facility for young people in the island.
In doing this Trevor has built up a team of people who work hard for the local community, and has used his skills to fundraise what must be about a quarter of a million pounds. Not just to pay for new facilities at the centre, but to give young people the chance to travel abroad – like an anti-racist project I went on a couple of years ago to Madeira.
Because I have got to know him pretty well over this time I also know that before Trevor decided to re-train as a professional youth worker – he graduated from De Montford University in Youth & Community Development - he spent 15 years in Business Management. He is hardworking, dedicated and a real ‘people’ person. I believe all of the skills Trevor has gained in these two careers, and the fact that he cares about Jersey so passionately make him just the sort of Senator this island needs. Thank you.
My full name is Letitia Victoria Pryor - the other proposers on the nomination form are:
Denise Carroll
Emile Collins
Debbie De Sousa
James Smith
Jane Chatterley
George le Huquet
Cris Wakeham
Stephen Southers
Geoff Southern

No comments: